|For the Day of Conversation - Trans Pacific Partnership||Trans Pacific Partnership||Overview, links to resources and conversation guide for the day of your conversation.|
|Invitation Sample||Invitation Sample|
Have you heard about the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP)? Most folks who know about the agreement have some pretty strong feelings about it one way or the other!
The Obama Administration says that this trade agreement “will boost U.S. economic growth, support American jobs, and grow Made-in-America exports to some of the most dynamic and fastest growing countries in the world.” The agreement appears to have much support in both parties. Yet critics are complaining about the secrecy around both the negotiations and terms of the agreement as well as expressing concerns that the TPP will ultimately hurt American workers. What do you think?
Rounds/Questions: The Living Room Conversation Starts Here
A Living Room Conversation is designed to flow through 5 rounds of questions. During some rounds, each question will be addressed. In other rounds, the multiple questions are intended as conversation starters and you need only respond to the one or two that matter the most to you. In the event the conversation wanders off track, we will refer to this Conversation Guide to get it back on track.
Round One: Getting Started / Why Are We Here?
- What interested you or drew you to this conversation?
Round Two: Core Values
Answer one or more of the following:
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what makes you “tick”?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
Round Three: Trade Agreements, Jobs, Free Markets and the TPP
Remember that the goal for this Living Room Conversation is for all of us to listen and learn about where we have different opinions and where we have shared interests, intentions and goals. Answer one or more of the following questions:
- Have you or someone you know been impacted by a trade agreement? What happened?
- What do you know or have you heard about the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP)? How does this influence your support or opposition to TPP?
- How would you like to see trade agreements negotiated for the USA?
- Where is this issue on your top-10 list? Why?
Round Four: Reflection
Answer one or more of the following questions:
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful / valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation.
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
Round Five: Accomplishment and Next Steps
Answer both of the following questions:
- What is one important thing you thought was accomplished here?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?
Closing – Thank you! Please complete the feedback form to help improve Living Room Conversations.