|For the Day of Conversation - National Basic Income||Guaranteed National Income||Overview, links to resources and conversation guide for the day of your conversation.|
|Invitation Sample||Invitation Sample|
What would happen if we had a National Basic Income (NBI)? Every citizen of the country is guaranteed to receive money, regardless of circumstances. This idea has been around for a few decades as a potential solution to ending poverty. It has also been championed as a way to reduce social programs and government bureaucracy. In the spring of 2016, Switzerland voted down a referendum on this, but Finland is drafting a plan which will be presented via referendum in late 2016. While some fear automation will shrink available jobs, others see NBI as a way to stimulate the economy. We invite you to engage in a little dreaming about what our future could be.
Round One: Getting Started / Why Are We Here?
- What interested you or drew you to this conversation?
Round Two: Hopes and Concerns for The Future
Answer one or more of the following:
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what makes you “tick”?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country now and long-term?
Round Three: How would Universal Basic Income Change Our Society?
Remember that the goal for this Living Room Conversation is for all of us to listen and learn about where we have different opinions and where we have shared interests, intentions and goals. Answer one or more of the following questions:
- If you knew you had a survival level of income, guaranteed, how would your life change?
- How do you think a guaranteed basic income would impact your community?
- How do you think other people would respond to a survival level of income?
- What conditions, if any, would you place on receiving a basic income?
Round Four: What Are We Learning Here?
Answer one or more of the following questions:
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful / valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation.
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
Round Five: Accomplishment and Next Steps
Answer both of the following questions:
- What is one important thing you thought was accomplished here?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?
Closing – Thank you! Please complete the feedback form to help improve Living Room Conversations.